Fixing a Broken iTunes Library
- Open iTunes. In iTunes Preferences, go to the Advanced tab (the gear icon)
- Click [Select...] to set the location for your new iTunes library.
- Important: Check Keep iTunes media folder organized.
- In iTunes, select File > Add to Library.
- Select the folder that contains all your music files (your old iTunes folder)
- Click [Open]
- Wait. This should take some time, depending on the size of your music collection.
You can also use these steps to move your iTunes library from one location to another, while re-indexing your entire library. This is especially useful if your music files may be scattered all over your computer and you want to consolidate them in one place, say on a new external hard drive.