Using an older Mac mini as a media center

I use an old Mac mini as my media center. It plays music, Netflix movies, YouTube, DVDs, and even serves as a DVR. I sync my iPods and iPhone to it using iTunes. Plus I can use it as a file server. Here's what you need to get started.

Get an (older) Mac mini

There are several reasons I use the Mac mini, instead of an iMac or a notebook, such as a MacBook Pro.

Apple Mac mini (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I'm using an older Mac mini, mostly because that's what I had lying around, severely under-utilized. As it turns out, the older models (only!) also have a CD/DVD drive, which I still find useful. If you have completely moved past the use of physical media, you can get a new Mac mini for around $700, or you can buy one used on eBay for around $250 (or less), and get the CD/DVD drive built in.

Like I did, you may also have a Mac mini that you no longer use as your main computer, because it doesn't support the latest version of Mac OS, or because you like to work on a laptop, or you got a new one to replace the ancient one you have. In my case, the Mac mini I use as my media center was introduced in 2007, and was discontinued in 2009. So, it's about five years old now, and can't even run the latest version of Mac OS X. I'm running OS X 10.6.8 on it, and it works great.

What about AppleTV/Windows/Linux/Roku/Slingbox yadda yadda yadda?

There are lots of different boxes you can connect to your TV. I went with the Mac, instead of Linux or Windows, because it's easier to work with compared to those other two options. Windows tends to impose too many restrictions, and can be extremely difficult to configure, and Linux may lack some of the hardware and software options, and requires more time to configure.

I'm not going to get into some religious war about which OS is better, since I use all three on various computers. For this use, as a media center, the Mac strikes a nice balance between ease of use, support for a wide range of software, and reliability. If you prefer Windows or Linux, then by all means, go for it.

On the other end of the spectrum are dedicated media boxes, like Apple TV, Roku, Slingbox, and so forth. You can also use your PS4, Xbox, or Wii to play streaming media from Netflix or other providers (like Google or Amazon). I've used these options too, and you are basically trading simplicity for flexibility. In other words, it's probably simpler to use, say, Netflix on the Wii than it is to launch it from a browser, but the Wii won't do a whole bunch of other stuff (like play DVDs or sync iTunes). The Roku box is great, but it's kind of a one-trick pony, for playing streaming video, because it doesn't use local storage.

The only other option I'd consider as possibly superior to the Mac mini is the PS4, because it includes a BluRay player (which I don't have) and it also boasts better graphics capabilities. But it is restricted by Sony in ways that may make it a little harder to set up -- certainly not as much as the Xbox, but still, there are some limits compared to the mini.

Upgrade

If you get a used Mac mini, I would strongly advise erasing the contents of the hard drive and performing a "clean install" of the most current version of Mac OS X that will run that computer. This way, you ensure your mini isn't bogged down with software you don't need, or even potential malware.

If you are handy with a Torx screwdriver, you may also want to consider upgrading your used Mac mini by adding the maximum amount of RAM it will support (In my case, a whopping 2 GB!) or replacing the hard drive, either with a larger disk or a much faster SSD drive. If you don't want to mess with the hard drive, you should get an external hard drive, either USB or FireWire. These upgrades won't cost more than $120 or so, each, depending on the hardware you select. So, one scenario looks like this: buy a Mac mini on ebay for $250, upgrade the RAM to 4 GB ($60), and add a 2 TB external hard drive ($110). Total cost for hardware: $420.

Accessorize

In addition to the external hard drive, which I strongly recommend, you'll want to get a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, so you can run your computer from the couch. The Apple options are compact and stylish, but Logitec makes an excellent solar powered Bluetooth keyboard that offers some additional features and doesn't require batteries.

Also, consider the EyeTV DVR from Elgato as a way to add full DVR capabilities to your setup ($200). Finally, you need a decent flat screen TV with an unused HDMI input.

You may also want to consider external speakers for your TV for that extra impressive surround sound effect.

Next: Connecting and Setting it Up

Once you've assembled all your hardware, you need to connect it to your TV. In the next article, I'll take a closer look at how to connect all the components. If you have any questions, or you'd like me to cover a specific topic, please post a comment below.

Comments

Popular Posts